Thursday, February 3, 2011

Frigid Friday: Round Up

It's frigid in Austin and the ground this morning is covered with some flaky white stuff  which is a welcome site to see but I understand the weariness of my Northeastern and Midwestern friends. This is one winter I am glad I am not in NYC traipsing in the white stuff (turned icky slushy salt melted and refrozen treacherous sidewalk fare) but I do like the cozy days--rushing to where I am going, slipping on some cozy socks and enjoying a cup of tea. I wrote earlier this week with my friend Amy Rose and it was delightful to be back at the page--her snuggled on my love seat under a blanket and me groaning at the chapter I was working to reshape. It felt like February--and February it is.


But things haven't slowed down on the Kid Lit scene. Last Saturday at BookPeople the Cynsational Cynthia Leitich Smith and the marvelous Mari Mancusi celebrated their new releases, Blessed and Night School.







I worked the cake/and drink station and laughed my most vampirish laugh from time to time. There were
cookies galore--a delish feast for all.



And the most delicious part of the event--aside from the bat cookies and laughs--were getting out hands on copies of Blessed and Night School. Check out the signing line!

Oh, and don't forget even though the temps are low and the snow is high, Cynthia Leitich Smith's Blessed Tour is going on! Turn out and see her if in any of the following cities.

Sunday, 2/6/11

1 p.m. to 3 p.m. - Books of Wonder - reading/Q&A/signing to public with Another Pan author Daniel Nayeri (PUBLIC EVENT)

18 W. 18th St., New York, N.Y.

Monday, 2/7/11

10 a.m. to 11:34 a.m. Francis Lewis High School

6 p.m. Borders Bookstore - reading/signing (PUBLIC EVENT)

Borders Columbus Circle
10 Columbus Circle, New York, N.Y.

Tuesday, 2/8/11

4 p.m. to 5 p.m. New Brunswick Free Public Library - reading/Q&A/signing (PUBLIC EVENT)

6:20 p.m. to 9 p.m. Rutgers University -- guest lecture, "Materials for Young Adults" -- room 203

School of Communication and Information -- 4 Huntington St., New Brunswick, N.J.

Wednesday, 2/9/11

10 a.m. NYPL Mulberry Branch - visit with schools

10 Jersey Street (Between Lafayette & Mulberry Streets) New York, N.Y.

8 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. New School Creative Writing Graduate Class - guest lecture

66 West 12th Street, between 5th and 6th Avenues

Thursday, 2/10/11

11:15 a.m. to 12 p.m. Brooklyn Public Library - Professional Development Day

Central Library, 10 Grand Army Plaza

4:00 p.m. to 4:45 p.m. Brooklyn Public Library - Will You Be My Paranormal Valentine Party (with teens)(PUBLIC EVENT)

Central Library, 10 Grand Army Plaza

Friday, 2/11/11

2:15 p.m. to 3 p.m. Little Red School House & Elisabeth Irwin High School Visit

Little Red School House & Elisabeth Irwin HS, LREI

272 Sixth Avenue, New York, N.Y.

7 p.m. The Voracious Reader - "Will You Be My Paranormal Valentine?" event with Another Pan author Daniel Nayeri (PUBLIC EVENT)

1997 Palmer Avenue, Larchmont, N.Y.

Saturday, 2/12/11

1:00 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Mercer County Library Event -- West Windsor Branch (PUBLIC EVENT)

333 North Post Road, Princeton Junction, N.J.

6:30 p.m. Barnes & Noble, Cherry Hill, N.J. (Greater Philly area)(PUBLIC EVENT)

911 Haddonfield Road, Cherry Hill, N.J.

More Awesome Austin News 

There is much buzz about library love--threaten the librarian's livelihoods and act like they are not need and necessary and all us book people get upset. Liz in Ink has been showing the librarians some love, so as Lindsey Lane, and Donna Bowman Bratton. Donna's interview with Jeanette Larson is a must read.  Librarians are so important. They serve a community and their work is not profit oriented--but it can be measured. We all know a librarian that pointed us towards the right book, that patiently answered our research questions, that taught us to think, to peruse at our leisure, and to be responsible by getting those books in on time!

I fell in love with books going to the Fountindale Public Library as a child. I loved the library so much that when I hurt myself on a nearby playground it was the library--not home--I went running to. (The library was closer and I had split my lip and my face was all bloody.) The library wasn't open yet but the librarian was there. She took me inside, called my parents, and got me my favorite Ramona book to sit with while waiting for my parents to arrive.) So, let's all raise our voices, stomp our feet, and join the chorus of Leave the Libraries Alone that Phillip Pullman eloquently delivers here.


Coming Conferences

I am getting excited for the Boots and Buckskin Austin SCBWI conference. I've gotten in several pieces to critique, I will get to see my Delacorte editor, and I will get to give back to an organization I love so well.

And, then there is the WLT YA A -Z Conference. My mentor, Tim Wynne-Jones is on the lineup for the April conference and his about to be released new novel, Blink & Caution is racking up the accolades.

"Two teenagers hurt by life “with its never-ending snares and pitfalls and dire consequences” come together in this elegantly constructed noir mystery and love story…Wynne-Jones’ finest, most beautifully written novel yet, one more in a career full of distinguished works. "starred review    Kirkus
"Wynne-Jones (The Uninvited) delivers a dazzling crime novel that evokes the taut writing and tropes of hard-boiled fiction while interweaving social justice themes and a solid sense of realism." starred review   PW


Tim is a warm and generous teacher, a spirited perfectionist, and a man of many talents. I can't wait to have him in town and here him speak. So, Texans what are you waiting for? Register Now.

Outside Awesome Austin

Congrats to friend and fellow WestSide author, Selene Castrovilla, for the sale of her 6th book. This one is titled Melt and comes out later this year. Selene's writing is raw, realistic, powerful and profound. Congrats!
As we wait for Melt, check out The Girl Next Door, if you haven't already.


No comments:

Post a Comment